SW4618S is a high-yielding, fall dormancy four variety, bred in saline growing conditions and selected for the ability to maintain improved production of hay in saline soils.
- Well adapted to Western US FD4 growing areas with salinity challenges in soil or irrigation water
- Relative Feed Quality (RFQ) is above average, 102% of the mean versus RFQ of elite check varieties.
- Yield is 97% of the mean under non-saline growing conditions, but demonstrates 12% more yield retention in moderate to strong saline growing conditions, versus the standard check variety.
- Highly suitable for growing areas that obtain 3-4 cuts per season
- Suitable for saline soils where irrigation water and/or soil contains moderate salt concentration
- Maintains good yield in saline growing conditions, of high quality and quantity of hay or haylage
Major Pest Resistance
- Bacterial Wilt – Highly Resistant
- Fusarium Wilt – Highly Resistant
- Verticillium Wilt – Resistant
- Anthracnose – Highly Resistant
- Phytopthora Root Rot – Highly Resistant
- Aphanomyces (race 1) – Highly Resistant
- Aphanomyces (race 2) – Low Resistance
- Pea Aphid – Highly Resistant
- Spotted Aphid – Highly Resistant
- Stem Nematode – Resistant
- Root Knot Nematode – Highly Resistant
(Pest Resistance Rating Scale: Highly Resistant, Resistant, Moderately Resistant, Low Resistance, Susceptible)
- DRI Score: 30/35
- Fall Dormancy: 4
- Yield: 8
- Winter Hardiness: Very Hardy